How is this for a first impression? We met our Mission President and his wife and the mission office manager today at a belated Thanksgiving dinner at the Bauer's apartment. A total of 20 people in all. About 9:45 PM Nori and I put on our shoes and walked the short block back to the hotel. We got there and Nori discovered she had forgotten her purse. I called the Canfield's and ask if the purse was there and if they could bring with them in the morning when we met. Of course they agreed. I hung up and within minutes Steve Canfield called me back and ask what size of shoes I wear. I asked why and he said that someone had taken the Mission President's shoes and he wondered if it was me. Sure enough I looked and the shoes I wore home were not mine. They turned out to be President Wilstead's. He walked to the hotel, he is staying the same place we are, and we traded shoes in the lobby. I told him it helped me to know him better by walking in his shoes and that I tried to get to know everybody this way. He just laughed and needless to say we have created mission legend.
Moral of the story, taking your shoes off when you go into a home is a foolish and risky idea.
We also met the four elders that are here and listened to how they are working this mission. Imagine 4 young men riding public transportation all day and trying to just strike up a conversation. No badges, but in a country where the majority of the people are dressed up to go to work. Suits and ties are no special thing.
That is a great story. How long will the mission president be there? Is he the president over Sofia, Bulgaria mission or Turkey? One time I invited the Area president William Bradford to hold a missionary family home evening because he was in our ward, but I was reprimanded by the Mission President because apparently he didn't have to lower himself to meet with the Elders. I was in trouble quite a lot in my mission. I guess my president didn't mind since he made me his assistant. When do you get to get out and start working with the people? We had a great day today and got all of our kitchen put back together. I want to have the whole thing done in a week and then we are going to have a Christmas party. Let me know when you can Skype. Love Ya.
ReplyDeleteI made a comment on here the other day and then checked to verify it was there. Now it's not weird! Does anyone else have to "verify they aren't a robot" to make a comment or is it just me?
ReplyDeleteI love this story. Told it to my in-laws and Jason tonight. Jason said "and the Gris-Weavers make it official in turkey". Great Gris-Weaver story. It sounds more like something I would do than you. Miss you.