We are down to the final two days before we leave for Utah. We are scheduled to enter the MTC (mission training center) on Monday Nov. 5th. We are in the final throes of packing and saying goodbye to friends. I think this is the first time in my life where I am embarking on a journey without a clear understanding of what I expect or plan. We will simply let the spirit guide us and I am committed to obey and exercise patience.
For the past week I have been thinking constantly of what really are the most important things in my life and specifically what would I take with me. Fortunately what is the MOST valuable and important is going with me, Nori. I need nothing else if she is there. Everything else is just stuff. Of course I will miss my family, but they are busy with their own lives and have their own responsibilities. It is important to note the beginning and end of my life adventure really is Nori. I am blessed with a great companion. I truly see nothing else that really matters.
For the material things it looks like we will take 4 checked bags and 2 carry on. Clothes and accessories with the bulk of the stuff being for Nori. The only real personal thing I want is connectivity so the computer is the life line. I cannot help but think of people departing on a mission a hundred years ago without a means for routine communication.
We ate Mexican food last night because I am thinking this will be the least likely cuisine that will be available. Green chili pork burritoes. Without a doubt there will be no pork.
Great news, the Elders are back in Istanbul. We do not know the details, but they are there. We think it is being downplayed to try to avoid the problems from the last time. This is a wonderful thing. We also have a new welfare manager for the eastern european mission, Vladimir Nechiporov. He is stationed in Russia. When I wrote him an e-mail I called him Elder Nechiporov and he wrote back and said. "call me Vlad, I am not a general authority". I think I will like this guy.
We love you all and are anxious to begin our service.
Görüşürüz
Yes, it sounds like you and Elder Nechiporov are cut from the same cloth! :) Good thinking, eating pork burritos for your last supper. Sounds like you have really thought these things through. What an amazing adventure! I can't wait to hear about the people you meet-- even this week in the MTC!
ReplyDeleteWe have been praying for the elders and are so happy to hear that they are in Turkey!
ReplyDelete