Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Eve

It is the day before Easter and I am thinking and writing about the resurrection and atonement of Christ.  What an amazing story.  I am so grateful for the sacrifice of Christ and the hope it brings into our lives.  I truly recognize the impact when I see the lives in mass of those who do not have Christ in their life.  It is such a good basis for living and finding peace in all that we do.  


A quick look at the Aegean Sea
Izmir Bay
It is also nice to focus only on the event and blessings of that event without the commercialism and hype about all the Easter materials.  No chocolate rabbits, no peeps and not a shred of plastic grass on the floor.  Also no boiled eggs and no colored dye.  Just the miracle of the resurrection.  Very nice.

We will hold our first sacrament meeting here in Izmir tomorrow and it looks like the program is Fred.  I conduct, I preside, I speak and I take care of the sacrament.  Too many I's.  I am hoping Nori will take  care of the music.  Of course we are so lucky for I-pads.  Just call up the church hymns and choose whether to sing on your own or sing along with a nice supporting cast of excellent voices.

Technology can be such a blessing.  Unfortunately when we grow too dependent sometimes it hinders our thinking and planning.  I forgot to bring my I pad to USB connection cable, so I have no real interface to the apple stuff I use.  


Nori and a black baby goat
on our first trip to Izmir.


We are thinking the move to Izmir is great.  It is such a different environment here versus Istanbul.  Our apartment is located on a one way tree lined street.  The tallest building is only 6 stories and we are on the 3rd floor.  Last night was the quietest night since we arrived in this hustle bustle country.  Now a city of nearly 4 million seems so small.


Sweeping a rug.  Vacuum
not working.  Notice the 1970
furniture.
Unfortunately the apartment was left just filthily.  I do not understand how some people can not only endure a mess, but then leave it as if the next person likes dirt.  We have thrown away tons of just plain junk.  There was a jar of olives that was growing some micro organism and who knows what else.  The previous couple told us that they did not feel it was their right to toss anything so there is at least two couples worth of garbage.  The trash guy just stood by the dumpster and recovered all the stuff I hauled out.

We do not know how anyone ever held sacrament meeting in the mess.  It is not even respectful.  Of course I live with Mrs. Clean, so we are rejuvenating the whole place.  Impossible to believe.


looking out our front entry in Izmir
While Nori cleaned, she sent me to get groceries.  Apparently the tradition here has been to provide some meal after each meeting.  We are not so sure we will continue this tradition in the long run, but one of the families was expecting a small meal so we will prepare some food.  What I really wanted to point out was what I observed on my walk to the market.  About half way there it dawned on me that the people looked very different from Istanbul.  Then it struck me, no scarfs or religious clothing.  The only church I passed on my mile walk was a christian church.  So on the way back I payed more attention. 


This is hard to believe after Istanbul, but I saw only one older woman in the street with a scarf.  I started to watch the buses and cars, I saw only 5 more women with scarves.  It is obvious that the religious impact in Izmir is much much less in the area we are living.  Very interesting.
We have also found the people to be more upbeat and friendly.  A very nice environment.  The weather today, blue skies and 75 degrees F.

2 comments:

  1. Izmir sounds like a nice place for you. Can't wait to visit. I'm still saving my pennies. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is one thing I know, there is no cleaner person on earth than my mom! You'll be able to eat off of that rug by the time she's done!

    ReplyDelete