
We have been so busy the last few weeks trying to get so many projects and assignments complete before we move permanently to Izmir on the 16th of April.
While we are on the subject the following is our new address:
Fred and Nori Weaver
1487 Sokak No. 6 Safah Apt.
Kat:3 Daire: 4
35220 Alsacak - Izmir, Turkey
![]() |
| Monument at the edge of Izmir bay |
They were well aware of the awful things that have happened in Izmir over the years with the Church. It is a shame what can happen when a leader goes wrong. It only confirms to me how important good leadership is and how easy it is to get someone who is clueless and incapable of leadership or responsibility.
![]() |
| Set up for Sacrament meeting |
Unfortunately the failure in leadership rests not only on the immediate problem, but the inability of people to recognize and speak up when foolish things are happening. This is a classic story of how wrong things can go and how no one steps up to the issue. Many lessons learned, but the branch was destroyed. Now we are being ask to try to reestablish a basis for the Church in this terrific city.
We finally got the place cleaned up. Now we know what it is like to move in after a hoarder. I have personally never been in such a mess with so much worthless junk stored in the place. Food stuff that was moldy and rancid with date codes as old as 2004! Every empty print cartridge for at least 2 years and files dating back to 1994. Paper with notes everywhere and so much dirt on things that it gives you the creeps. We hauled out so much stuff that one would deny that it was actually in the building. When I found a small disc player to play prelude music for sacrament meeting I had to wipe off goobers and sticky stuff. I think the last person to handle the player was an 18 month old eating a birthday cake and ice cream. Yuck, Yuck!!!
![]() |
| Our after Church Easter Dinner. Small congregation. |
The master bath had not been fully used because the tub had not been completely assembled. It had a side panel in the original package that was leaning against the wall still in its original package with 2 years of dust and grim on the cardboard. It took all of 10 minutes to finish the tub. The previous couple had told us that they did not feel they could throw away anything that may be important, but how do you explain moldy olives?
The previous man also told me that he did not do manual labor. His wife confirmed that, so anything needing some work was never done. I hate to make a comparison, but it is a phred truism: he voted for Obama both times and admires him. Typical liberal, he did not need to do manual labor cause he was waiting for a conservative to either pay for it or do the work. Sorry I could not contain myself.
Back in Istanbul. We had a typical adventure getting home. We arrived at Ataturk airport and took the metro to Meter where we caught the Metrobus. I was so sure we got on the right bus going the right direction, but Nori did not share my enthusiasm for the choice. We got on the bus, but she kept saying we were going the wrong way. I was lugging all the baggage and the bus was jammed packed, but I finally said you are right after we had traveled about 5 miles. We got off at the next stop and headed back the opposite direction. After about 10 miles, I said now I know we are going the wrong direction so we forced our way through the standing room only crowd with our luggage and got off at the next stop to go back the original direction. We continued to discuss who was right, but bottom line the original choice was correct. We only spent a miserable 30 minutes all messed up and sweating with bags and crowds. I am going to accept all responsibility because I should never have doubted. Oh well we got home safely.
![]() |
| Famous clock in Konak near Izmir at dusk. |
![]() |
| Our street in Izmir. So nice! |




You two are amazing! I know I keep repeating it, but I am so proud of the work that you are doing. I have no doubt that you will see growth in Izmir despite the huge challenge that it seems to be right now. It just makes me all the more excited to get out there and see it with my own eyes.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHad to remove my first because I couldn't figure out how to edit my spelling!!! But the gist was that Adam's right - you two are amazing! We're so excited to hear about your new adventures in Izmir. If I've followed correctly, you have church in your home. Fred conducts and you both teach. Then you serve a meal to anyone that comes. You're so impressive. They're so lucky to have you there!!! We look forward to hearing about how the next week and meeting go.
ReplyDeleteI would love to come to your branch any Sunday of the year, especially if the meeting ends with a meal made by Nori! You may not be a liberal, Fred, but your talents in liberal arts continue to impress me... I love to read your writing. We will continue to pray for you and also that you get missionaries this summer! I hope you are enjoying this wonderful adventure. It may not feel like it there at times, but it is so obvious to us here that you are true pioneers opening up a new part of the world to receive the Gospel.
ReplyDeleteEthan did a report on Ataturk this month... once he's done editing I'll have him send it to you!