![]() |
| Another smiling Turk |
Yesterday, we traveled over to the old city to work on the details of the upcoming Humanitarian Conference to be held here in Istanbul in mid May. We must have walked about 5 miles total as we tried to consider the best way for the people to get around and not get lost in the City. We need to develop a guide so that all the missionaries from the other countries of Eastern Europe can visit and enjoy the City with minimal confusion. I took the time to count smiling faces. In about an hour of walking I counted only 3 smiles on faces that walked past. I tried to smile at the oncoming crowds and if they noticed my grin, they would just look away. Now I did not count the dozen or so carpet, purse, or scarf salesmen ready to separate us from our money. This group is like a pack of predators with more sales lines that you can imagine, but they do smile and say, "you look like you are looking for my shop? Let me show you my shop."
![]() |
| A delighted citizen |
In church the most common problem that we hear from the members is that they do not always feel welcome. They carry dissatisfaction and a sad heart because someone did not welcome them or the people they have brought to church. We shake hands with every person every week and make sure we learn something about every person. I am more and more convinced that leaders spend too much time meeting on subjects and issues that never really get resolved in the meeting and then have no time to truly be among the people. It is not the appearance of leadership that inspires people, it is the leader among the people that inspires. It is contact with the leader that develops strength, support and happiness among the members. Unfortunately I see people waiting to be recognized and not anxious to step forward and recognize others.
We will hold our first Sacrament meeting on Easter Sunday in Izmir. We know that we will have one other family on that day, but that may be all we have in attendance. I guess I will conduct, pray, do the sacrament, talk and teach any lesson we may have. Perhaps I can get Nori to help with some of the program. This will be so strange. It is like being the preacher of a congregation. We will have so much to do in order to reestablish the Church in Izmir. We will be in need of all your prayers. Perhaps you all could schedule a trip to Turkey and attend our meetings so that we have an audience. There are plenty of members in the good old USofA that it would not hurt for you to help out here in Turkey.
![]() |
| Finally we visit the Blue Mosque |
![]() |
| End of prayer |
At least it would seem that we are needed and not just the old folks in a full building. It is strange that we have value in the new parts of the church and little value in the old and established parts. We are important in the teaching and leading of new congregations, but we are just a body in the States where the young people are the value. I am not complaining. Really I am not, it is just an interesting perspective. In the last several years, it seemed that I was just a nuisance, but here it seems like even the young people are interested in our thoughts and experience. I have talked in Church more in 5 months than I did in the last 15 years at home.
Well it is off to the PTT (Turkish Post Office) this is one place that could compete with the US mail as far as post offices go. Instead of waiting in line, you choose a number based on whether you want to mail a letter; mail a package or the busiest section, pay your utility bills. As I said before, this is a cash society. Why is it cash? Very simple, if you pay in cash then you can avoid the 18% tax charged on most everything. Today I am lucky I got number P269 and they are already on P230, WOW! Unfortunately just like the good old US post office, they only have a couple of service posts so it will be about an hour wait, not bad today.
![]() |
| See how no one is working. Just like home. |
Serving in Turkey is comprised of standing in goofy lines and fighting crowds for whatever space there may be in order to file documents or pay bills or simply to get assistance. Nothing is easy. Thank goodness I have been blessed with a huge ability for patience. If it were not for my incredible patience, I would go nuts.
![]() |
| More of the Blue Mosque. Simply Beautiful. |






Obviously, you are doing a great work there in Turkey. We need your strength and wisdom here, but the Lord has seen fit for you to make tremendous contributions where you are now. These contributions are obvious and profound, and I can only hope that I will have a similar if smaller positive impact where I am and maybe on my future mission with my wife. Keep up the good work. We love you and pray for you.
ReplyDeleteI often wonder the exact same thing. It seems as if we just get through life and rarely enjoy it. I wish that we could be there with you for your Easter service! I hope that you guys color some eggs and do an Easter egg hunt. Who are you skyping this Sunday?
ReplyDelete