Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pazar (Sunday)


Today you are going to church in 'Stanbul, Istanbul for you foreigners.  It is Fast Sunday because it is more exiting and unique.  Do not for a minute think that every week is not unique, because they all have their special characteristics.  Of course it begins at 1PM because really nothing can begin before 10 (saat on Sabah) because you are not sure you can get there.  Then again starting time is really just a suggestion.  Besides you've got the 3 hour block so anytime before 4pm is acceptable.

Nevertheless for us die hard type A people we actually think we should be on time.  We do our morning routine of prayer and scripture study hoping that ....... Oh no, it is not a good day.  The phone rings and the typical last minute query, "can you teach the young men today? Oh, and can Sister Weaver teach the young women?  Thank you!

We grin and hold up our open hand extending 5 fingers.  We actually have come to expect this.   We even told the Branch President to just call us to the job, but he has been instructed to be careful using missionaries without TRPs (temporary resident permits) and we also have to be careful that our humanitarian work does not get connected to our church work.  After all working Charity cannot be linked to a desire to convert anyone to the gospel, that might offend turkishness and imply an expectation.

Oh the open hand 5 extended fingers is the sign of understanding. Each finger simply represents a word, a standard message to each other,  You are in Turkey now. 


Hoping the power is on and the Internet is up, we quickly reference the Church web site and down load our teaching materials.  The Internet our lifeline to sanity, comes to the rescue.  The internet is truly a gift.

Having completed our morning and prepared our newly assigned lessons, we pack our stuff and walk the mile to the metro.  Pay our fare (1.90 tl each) and travel about 5km to Levent.  Then just a mere 10 minute walk to church.  
                                 Our Church, literally a house. On Dove ( Güvercin) Street (Sok)

Whoa at least today it is not raining as usual, but we still have our umbrellas and Nori wears her tennis shoes and carries her dress shoes in the bag.

Now the weekly surprise, how many people will come?  Sometimes as few as 8 and sometimes as many as 60.  Thank goodness for the visitors.  All the expats in the Asian area of the middle east come to Istanbul for holiday and an escape from the land of sand.

The meeting starts, only the Branch President and Elder Bauer, counselor in the Mission presidency are there.  No counselors yet.  The congregation is small only 7 people, but hey, like I said it is early.  Oh, oh no, the big guy comes in.  I do not know his name, he speaks only Turkish and Hebrew.  Big guy because he is big  6'4" and broader than me.  Big.  Oh no, because he is an investigator that says he is interested, but he is really only interested in telling us we do not know what is right.  He can quote half the new testament in Hebrew and can not understand why we cannot.

More members show up and we have a good group of nearly 30 people.  Testimony is great with testimonies shared in Turkish, Tagalog, Filipino, Spanish, English and a sweeping variety of accents.  The meeting is almost over and oh no, the big guy goes to the pulpit and is going to talk.  President Çakir translates.  He tells us how he thinks we are wrong, but he is going to give us a chance.  He will try to be tolerable with us, but he knows we are wrong.  He has destroyed the spirit and I cannot let him be the last speaker, I get up and testify of Christ and the truthfulness of the gospel.  Some in English and some in my poor Turkish.  I talk about service and the love of charity.  I close and set down.  Amazingly enough a recent convert gets up and does an amazing job in his native Turkish to restore the spirit of the meeting.  Testimony is such a power.

 Like these little roses blooming in January.  Struggling through a rough terrain to show new life and strength.
Look, we received our water bill.  Posted on the inside of our elevator.  Of course it is obvious that we owe money and it is very clear how much and for what.  You figure it out and let us know so our payment is not late.  I am holding my hand out, 5 fingers extended.  You are in Turkey Now.




5 comments:

  1. Dear Nori and Fred:

    I have been wondering how to write you. Doug and I are delighted to have looked at the ward bulletin this past week and saw your blog spot listed there. Horray! I am happy to hear that you are both well. I want you to know that we pray for you, and that you are loved and missed here in the Loveland Stake. We are so excited to be able to follow you as you so diligently and humbly serve the Master. All is well here in Colorado.

    Fondly,
    Mary Ellen Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... I am not in Turkey! You are! Thankfully because I couldn't do it. I love the humor of your posts and am so grateful for your service. We are blessed everyday because of it. I am so grateful for this blog. The Internet really is a blessing. Oh and instant messaging is pretty great too. Much love. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to ask Derek-- I think he had a similar saying "You're in Guat now" or something.
    The internet is such a miraculous blessing. Hard to believe neither of your boys had it on their missions. Poor Derek loves to tell how I put him through the ringer when I wrote to tell him I was taking a boyfriend home to meet the parents and then never wrote again for 3 months.
    I loved hearing about testimony meeting. I wish I could have seen it. You make us proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAD! I love it!I had to do very similar things on my mission in Paraguay (getting up to try and restore the spirit after someone tried to destroy it). What an inspiration you guys are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you are right Fred. 8) We in the US have no idea what it is like to live somewhere poor. We complain about having to drive 15 minutes to church in Loveland, we complain about having to drive "all the way" to Windsor to do our home teaching, and we have no idea what real poverty is. My kids used to ask me if we were poor, because I didn't buy them all the toys their friends had. Thank you for sharing and helping us understand and remember to do what we can to help our community and others in the world.

    ReplyDelete