All of their names are Kelle, roast sheep head. These are in various stages of roasting.
Eye balls and all. Of course they are not just slapped on your plate and left for you to pick at. They strip things for you and bring a nice platter of the various parts. Nori had the chicken and refused to watch me eat. Oh by the way the new tradition is now cancelled. Nori says that I cannot be trusted to plan meals out and she is not going to watch me eat roast sheep head ever again. I will most likely never get another kiss.
Now tell me this does not look very appetizing? A little nose, brains, both eyeballs and some cheek and forehead meat. How can a meal get any better? The brain is smeared onto the tortilla and then you add a little forehead and fold it up. Brain is quite creamy with a sort of bland taste. The eyeball is the most unique. An odd mixture of texture and flavor. The supportive ligaments are a little stringy and the eye itself is quite tender. I was surprised how much fatty material surrounds the eye. The cheek meat and the forehead is a very juicy and flavorful meat. Then of course in the Turkish tradition associated with most meals, cold french fries called patates along with a few pickles and some rice mixture. Then of course a nice warm glass of Su (water). Ok, I suppose that is enough, but now I can add sheep head to my culinary experience. If anyone comes to Turkey I would be happy to treat you to this delicacy.
On another note, we had the opportunity to addend the baptism for one of our 9 youth in the Branch. Ece Cakir, the daughter of our Branch President was baptized in the cold water of a portable pool on the upper deck of our Church building.
Our Font on the third floor outside deck
Climbing in. If this is not last century I do not know what is, but it was a special day. Ece was so cold. The water was probably only 40 degrees F.
Sister and President Cakir with Ece.
Not a day or event goes by without realizing what a blessing life really is and how many luxuries we have in the United States. However it is a true gift to share in the lives of so many different people and learn so many new things. Now if I could just be blessed with patience.
This is the most famous of all Turks. His picture is everywhere. His history is amazing. Ataturk.
Side note, I have just about worn out my first pair of shoes. Between the walking, dirt and rain, they are getting a little shabby.






Oh my goodness! I cannot stop laughing. I can't wait until Alyson reads this. She will be gagging for two days straight. I like your tradition and I think that it should continue! I have been searching out a place to start the tradition here in Denver and it looks like the only way that it will happen is for me to kill one of our ward members sheep and do it myself. I'm not sure I have the time tonight unfortunately. That looks just like a font that I had in Benjamin Aceval, Paraguay!
ReplyDeleteI am no longer reading your blog! Enjoy your mission and ill talk to you when you return to sanity!
ReplyDelete- much love from your only daughter.
Ps the baptism is very exciting. I'm sure you are glad you didn't have to climb into the pool.
I'd eat it. Its still meat. Its gotta be better then macaroni casarole!! Or water chestnuts!
ReplyDeleteDan, WHAT? You won't eat green vegetables but you'd eat a sheepshead, eyeballs and all?
ReplyDeleteI think you better start stocking up on chocolate for me. I will NOT be eating anything, but what Nori cooks for me. Gag me! That is so disgusting! The font is very unique, but way cool being baptized outside on a deck. Now that's a baptism experience one will not forget.
ReplyDeletethe row of lamb-eez that are just starting to cook, looks like some nasty alien movie scene. Send pic to Spielberg.
ReplyDeleteWe have fam baptism today (sat 2 Feb) for Lons boy Ashton--after we are having Rocky mountain Oysters, much better.