Monday, November 4, 2013

Where are the Samaritan's


Serving in Turkey

There is a difference between active and passive living.  Many people live the life that comes.  Others strive to create a life they wish to live.  In Turkey the attitude portrayed in the phrase "inshallah" tends to imply that only God's will, will occur.  You cannot change the path, so just take the day as it comes and what is, just is.

This has been a week of intense and varied emotions.  We have traveled to Kayseri to work with the Hagobians and the project to distribute food packets to the poorest of the refugees, met with some impressive and important people and listened to the continued plight of the poor as winter comes on.  We have traveled to Izmir, attended a major conference on the disabled, worked with our partners in our wheelchair project, closed out our school lift project, met some major political people and shared in the joy of watching the Boccia sports project move to a new level of involvement.  We also met one of the Turkish handicap tennis champions that we, against church rules, decided to support and help fund her in a world competition.  She was overcome with appreciation.
 
Shows better in Black and White
It has been both rewarding and extremely discouraging at the same time.  My heart keeps being shot full of holes and although I see much good, I see an infinite need for help and support.  The opportunities to serve are so huge it is overwhelming and very disheartening.  The fact that our Church has decided that humanitarian work is no longer needed in Turkey in mind boggling.  I suppose all I can do is accept that some knowing power understands why, but it is like saying that we have completed the work of serving the poor and needy while thousands are freezing, starving and completely alone in a world of hate and fear.
 
Our friend is on the right.  The lady
on the left is from the UK and the man
holding the racquet is the head of the
Turkish special olympics
We met with the Vicar of the Angelican Church and a representative from England that has come to try to find a way to better help the refugees in Turkey.  It was a very interesting meeting.  I am impressed that this church at least took the time to find out what the local opinions are.  They are the first outside organization to even ask what we are doing and what we think.
 
Boccia teams, real people
I was also able to baptize my first convert into the Church.  She is a young Iranian lady that has been attending church and started to attend our young single adult family home evening program.  For what ever the reason she seems to have taken a liking to me and wanted me to baptize her.  I felt bad for the young elders, but when she insisted putting off her baptism date until I could do it, I could not object.  It was a special moment and a great privilege to use my priesthood.

Concepts of exclusion or most often called discrimination are in essence the same whether it is race, color, religion or disability.  The interesting note is everyone has something that they are discriminated against.  Even if you are too beautiful, too smart or just plain good at what you do, someone or something will still be an impediment in your life.  Something or someone will hinder or act as a force against you and your ability to move forward.  In this sense we are all handicapped.  We are all impeded in some aspect of our life and must find a way to overcome the obstacles to progress.

Reality.... Handicap and Religion same complexities,
but the handicap show more courage.

For example just being the Church of Jesus Christ is major handicap in this part of the world.  No matter the law, there is immense discrimination against Christianity.  You may as well be without arms and legs.  You are barely tolerated, but you are never truly accepted.
She did not want me to take a picture of her so
it is blurry, but she was overjoyed that her
daughter could now go to school because of the
wheelchair lift the Church installed in the public
school.  No lift, No access, No school.

When you look at my pictures in this post, substitute the disability for religion, race or color and the picture remains the same.

I am afraid that by the time I get home, I will have been so consumed with frustration, disappointment and discouragement that I will be no more.  The moments of joy are amazing, but the exposure to sorrow is nearly overwhelming.  What I actually fear most is that I will come home and simply slip back into the comfort of life in the States and let my mind forget the tragedy of the lives in this country.  I will just be another traveler that passed through and left behind the poor and needy.  Where are the Samaritans?


PICTURE REMOVED FOR SAFETY
Our newest member, a special day.  Details cannot be shared?
But we have the memories.


2 comments:

  1. Fred, Another amazing, touching and thought provoking post. Congrats on the baptism and on getting to see the fruits of your labors in a few real lives which have been touched. Cling to the moments of joy. Been thinking much about what to do with the lessons learned, experiences gained, friendships forged, ... It would be so easy to slip back into life as if the past 8 months never happened. Thank you for the inspired reminder to not forget and to seek to build upon. God and good be with you! Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your insights again. I have a lot of worries, but one of them is NOT that you will come back and be passive. I know you will come back and be engaged in not just one good work but many, and I look forward to seeing what you do and who you help and what you make. I know it will be inspiring, just like your mission has been. Dave and Terri gave their mission reports to the High Council today, and it was wonderful to hear from them. I think you could all have a long conversation about bureaucracies.

    ReplyDelete