![]() |
| The first and nearly only sign of the upcoming holiday. |
Well it is another cool fall day here in the great country
of Turkey. The weather is
definitely changing, but for the most part it is comfortable and pleasant. I am trying to increase
my exercise now that my foot is feeling better and I am limping less and I have
a lot less pain. I am quite proud
of my scars and need to find some see through shoes and socks so that I have
more opportunity to show off my beautiful feet. There is no doubt that my feet are my best feature and
should be shown off at every occasion. Perhaps I
will pursue my dream of becoming a beach bum and spend the rest of my life
without shoes.
We are anticipating the upcoming Holidays with more
trepidation than last year. Last
year to some extent it was a sacrificial gesture to step away from the noise
and clamor of the thanksgiving and Christmas season and experience the
uniqueness of simply being with others who had given up the holidays to
serve. This year it almost seems
to be too much to give up and we are missing our family and friends. A traditional thanksgiving meal
surrounded by loved ones would be much appreciated. It would be amazing to eat one of Nori’s pies. Unfortunately making pies here seems to
be nearly impossible and our oven would never hold a turkey. Oh well, we will survive and live to eat another day.
![]() |
| Depiction of life in a Turkish prison. Nothing to do but bang your head. Wait a minute I think that is me. Special underware and in Turkey;-( |
None of the 6 elders had received an invitation to share the
holidays and we also are on our own, so we will share the holidays with the
young elders. They are allowed two
whole hours to eat and relax. They
are such amazingly obedient young men.
We are always amazed at their commitment to their calling. I cannot even imagine the difficulty of
their assignment. Each day they go
out and walk the streets, visit public parks and ride public
transportation. They cannot show
any visible sign of being missionaries and can only say they are volunteers for
their Church when they can initiate some conversation. They roam the City until 9 PM every day.
For your information we have moved, again! This is the 4th move in 13
months not counting our first 3 weeks in a hotel. We debated and talked and debated again. Nori gave me the final decision and I
decided there was no need to move for the remaining 5 months so when I declared
my decision, she simply took away my right to choose and we moved.
This time the move is just up a 35-step marble spiral
stairwell and into the apartment vacated by our good friends, the Edwards, just
a week ago. Off course not a thing
in the apartment was up to the same standard that we had in our apartment so we
had to move out all the things and I mean
all the things the Edwards lived with for their year and a half and we
moved in our stuff that has accumulated from Istanbul, Izmir and who knows how
many senior missionaries. Not even
their pots and pans were good enough so it was a total move.
![]() |
| The dreaded marble steps from our third floor land down to the old apartment on the main floor. |
Then we had to help move the Elders into our apartment. In reality our apartment was smaller
and it was crowded when we held family home evening, so maybe it is a better
thing, but I still would have chosen to leave well enough alone.
It is amazing how much stuff collects on a mission. I realize there have been senior
missionaries in Turkey since 1996 and that would mean about 14 couples
collecting stuff. Of course us
guys just love adding new baskets, dollies, dishes and a plethora of knick
knacks to our home life and how could you serve a mission if you did not have
matching rugs and nice curtains.
Nori as usual has been doing wonders with the Young
Women. She is so amazing when it
comes to setting up a program and initiating the youth program for the Young
Women. If absolutely nothing else
happened on our mission, the Young Women in Istanbul and Ankara at least had a
few months of having the program ran as perfectly as it can be run. We both really like the new youth
program and all the features to teach and encourage the youth. She has set up a plan to make hats for
the poor and to have both the young Elders and a local Charity; the Jesuit
Relief Services have stocking hats to give to individuals. The girls love her.
Well we wish all our family and friends (if we have any
left) a wonderful Thanksgiving and the
best of the Holiday Season from Ankara Turkey.



Happy Thanksgiving! I know your family (and the rest of us too!) will be glad to have you back next year. Enjoy it the best you can.
ReplyDeleteI sure wish you two could be here for the holidays as well. We miss you guys! I love the lack of sarcasm in this post! How in the world did you get that picture of the guy in jail?
ReplyDeleteHappy Thansgiving Fred and Nori! We miss you and hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteAdam, the "guy" in jail is a dummy in a prison that is now a museum. You walk through with a recording of all kinds of weeping and wailing and knashing of teeth in the dark. You peep through the food passage hole to see the "guys". Fun!
ReplyDelete