Frantically,
Irag fans the charcoal as if somehow he can will the embers to make up for the
lost minutes and validate his anxiety to please. The meal is late.
Shortly, Mina too joins in to see if two people together can overcome
the laws of nature. Their
daughters, Tara and Tina engage us in idle conversation, attempting with every
word to show respect and create some bond of hope. Four people, a family isolated in Turkey, running from the
oppression of their own country, Iran in an attempt to find peace and a freedom
to follow dreams, are preparing us a meal of grilled chicken and beef with
saffron rice. All they want is to bond, find security in common belief and desires of the heart and try to feel whole
again.
This is another
story of sadness and the depravity of mankind. This is a story of men, so called leaders, bent entirely on
their own desires, oblivious to the pain and torment inflicted on the masses at
large. Why should the minimal
desires of an individual family have merit? In reality in a world where many of those in authority
espouse the glory and majesty of God, Allah there is not even an idle thought
of His creation, his simple children.
The fleeing masses are simply chaff in the wind, an irritant at best, no
respect, no concern, no compassion, disposable people. We speak of them in the morning and
forget them by noon.
They
joined the LDS Church while residing in refuge in Armenia. They had fled the oppression of Iran to
find freedom of individuality and choice.
As a child, Mina had heard the story of Christ's birth, the Christmas
story, and sought out a Christian church in Armenia. They planned to attend a Catholic church located across the
street from the Mormons. As they
approached, the Elders, missionaries standing out front, invited them in. The Spirit connected and they found a
peace and brotherhood in the Gospel of Christ.
They have
a dream, a vision of a loving, and caring, compassionate life in the freedom of
America, dwelling among the bothers and sisters of the Gospel. They see Utah as Heaven and the saints
as angels. They believe we all care
for and embrace each other, we are all attentive, loving and accepting. They expect that because they have
embraced the church, the church will embrace them.
So, would
you, could you, will you welcome them in with open arms and a loving
embrace? Is your ward, your
family, are you ready to befriend people with a strange and distant culture and
background? A family with a
strange accent and limited English, along with limited money and resources, a
family in need of love and friendship, are these people you could love?
My
thoughts fall back on my personal life in the States and my personal
experiences with too many people that I could not embrace. Forget the reasons, I know that I have
not been the loving, caring person that would open myself to others and I
certainly did not reach out to the poor, the afflicted, the lonely and those in
need. I am not sure I really know
how. I just know that when I see
the hope in the hearts of the refugee, I fear the dream of a better, loving
life may not exist. I do not
question that life in the States would be infinitely better, but I do question
if the compassion an individual craves really thrives in our country, our
church, or our lives.



Don't be too hard on yourself, Fred. As you know, I am the poster child for under-reacting to people in need, and I can only hope that I can learn to show the amount of caring and love you have already shown to your family.
ReplyDeleteThat is very thought provoking and a good reminder to me, as we don't have refugees per se but many migrants who end up staying to make this "little Mexico" town their home. It's amazing how we can just coexist and live such different lives in such close proximity if we don't make the conscious effort to reach out.
ReplyDelete