| Hagobian's Sheraak, Olga, Hashkan some of the great people |
It is this group of refugees that includes 3 families that also belong to the Church and were Church members before they came into this country to be assigned to live temporarily in the garbage.
| Tazehabadi family. From Iran. Great people, |
Many of the other refugees in this group are Christian and have fled their country of origin to gain some relief from persecution and brutal treatment, but many just want out of the misery created in their home countries and hope for a residence of peace.
I would never claim that I fully understand the situation or plight of these people, but I think after living in the border of the real middle east, I think I actually have more experience in the region than our former Secretary of State, Hillary. I think I understand better than most news shows, and I certainly have a different perspective than many folks. Of course my perspective is always different from most people anyway so what else is new.
Face it, the reality of the middle east is that there is oil and sand. The oil has made brutal men rich and poor men greedy. The survival of people leaving in the worst possible places on earth now have the means to be jealous of the rest of the world and would leave their homes of origin in a minute if there were somewhere to go. The poor with no access to the wealth of their homeland and a desire to have more than their country can offer, leave in droves. The rich simply leave in their private jets anytime and then live pretend lives in the western world only to return home and fund the knuckleheads.
![]() |
| Picnic at Kadifekale, Izmir |
The culture that is ingrained in them for their entire lives is Insha'Allah.
No one is encouraged to explore new ideas or question the premise of the cultural belief. No one wants to become an infidel or risk eternal life by embracing western concepts. Nevertheless, abandoning minor rules like alcohol or ignoring the daily prayer ritual or a dozen other minor annoyances is just fine, just do not embrace the west and the wickedness of reason.
The deep seated hatred and fear is nearly disabling. I can not even imagine living with so much fear of your religion, fear of your government, fear of your culture, fear of your community and fear of everyone around you.
What is most amazing to me is that even culturally and religiously similar parties cannot get along. As an example for our own religion, it would behoove us to kill off any other christian with slightly different concepts. How do you explain Muslim killing Muslim? What is that about other than hate. No wonder fear permeates the entire culture.
![]() |
| Pomegranate tree in bloom. 100's |
Ok let me tell you a story, imagine you and your family of 4 have decided to leave your home and move to a new location. Using the similarity of states, you are moving from Colorado to Utah. You have arranged to use a friends car and he will figure out how to get it back or simply does not care or perhaps he goes with you to drive. You take only your personal items because you can only fit them in a car or on top of the car. There is not much, but you have decided you must leave.
When you get to the Wyoming border there are men with guns and they control the road. On the Colorado side the Colorado men yell at you and make you get out of the car. They line you up and poke you with guns. They threaten you and call you a traitor for leaving Colorado, they hit and spit on you and finally take all your belongings out and off the car. They throw your stuff in the dirt and take your Ipod and a pair of your shoes. They kick you again and then let you gather up your stuff and cross the border.
The men on the Wyoming side just a few yards away
again drag you from your car and shove you to the ground. They call you an infidel and once more
dump your stuff in the dirt. They
slap your children and threaten to rape your wife. Ultimately they let you travel through good old beautiful
Wyoming.
At the Utah border it begins again. This time the Wyomingites take your car
and throw what remains of your stuff into Utah. They shove you across the border and spit on you. They tell you if you should ever
attempt to return, they will kill you and your family as well as find all your
relatives and kill them too.
The Utahites take the rest of your personal stuff
and let you keep your clothes.
They send you to Helper and tell you that you cannot leave Helper
without permission. You cannot
work and the home they assign you has no heat. You are to just wait until someone lets you know what to do
and you can ask what is up, but they will just tell you to wait.




Fred,
ReplyDeleteI don't care what your say, your mission is there is time very well spent, to say it lightly. What else would you be doing-- sitting at home on your couch watching Bill O'Reilly TELL you about the politics that you are actually LIVING right now?! This is amazing stuff. Thank you for sharing these experiences. Your analogy to the states that we have all driven through so many times puts it in perspective very well.
I also like the photos of the beautiful flowers and trees-- a sweet reminder that God has not completely forsaken that part of the world, despite what some of his children are required to endure.
I don't know if you see it in yourselves, but you are the perfect people to be there right now. Your understanding and interest in politics along with your compassionate hearts and love of the Lord along with your thick skin and ability to endure your own trials is why I believe you were called there. You might not be knocking doors or converting people in droves, but you are doing work that needs to be done. Thank you for being examples to all of us. We love you so much! I love these people that you are telling us about. We will pray for them too.
By the way, your comment about people who have so much in common but can't get along makes me reflect on our own community and some of the dissent amongst various Christian sects here. It is sad to see persecution amongst people who all claim to follow Christ. It is a trap that we have to be careful not to fall into ourselves (which is hard when we are amongst the specific targets of discrimination when it comes to the private Christian school here in town.)
ReplyDeleteFred and Nori, We love reading your posts.Thank you for sharing with us so many things that are simply impossible to comprehend. We have and are learning much from you two and are grateful for your faithful service and for the things you are doing to help our Heavenly Father's children in a most difficult part of the vineyard.
ReplyDeleteOur service in Japan has been an eye opener. So different from the perspective of a 20 year old missionary some 35 years ago or of a pampered businessman and his family 22 years ago. I have a much deeper appreciation for the sacrifices the Saints here make for the Gospel's sake Back home in sleepy Fort Collins there is much to be grateful for.
We keep pushing forward with the work as best we can, but most of the grandiose plans/dreams I had three months ago are moving slowly, if at all. However, once in a while the opportunity to touch or serve someone in a small way comes along and we are learning to appreciate those times more and more. We appreciate and at some level can relate to the desire to be able to minister more. All we can do is keep on trying. We love you guys. Dave & Terri
Ditto to what has already been said. I am so amazed by the stories. I am amazed by you and what you are doing to serve The Lord. You are an inspiration and very few people could do the work you are doing. Keep your head up and push forward. We are constantly praying for you.
ReplyDeleteYou guys continue to do amazing things. I think back on my mission and I cannot think of the exact benefit that was made for the people of Paraguay at all. It could be that I did nothing at all for them, but I did my best. In the end, maybe I was the only one that benefitted from the experience, but it was still worth it. I think you'll look back and think the same way. There may not be a Weaver Stake by the time to leave Turkey, but your experiences there will live forever.
ReplyDeleteHi there Brother Fred...I couldn't help but notice how many times you have used the word fear in this post. How horrendous it must be for these people to live in so much fear. I also kept thinking of the scripture..."perfect love casteth out fear." That is what you and Nori are doing there...casting out fear by loving. You can see it in the faces of the pics that you post. You both are doing a tremendous work.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to share some Loveland Stake news in case you haven't gotten the scoop yet. We have a new Stake Presidency. They are...President Crane (no surprise there) with his counselors, Presidents Danowski and Leonard.
Doug and I are headed back east for the month of July to visit family. We continue to keep you both in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for your righteous examples.
Love to Nori...
Mary Ellen
Hi there Brother Fred...I couldn't help but notice how many times you have used the word fear in this post. How horrendous it must be for these people to live in so much fear. I also kept thinking of the scripture..."perfect love casteth out fear." That is what you and Nori are doing there...casting out fear by loving. You can see it in the faces of the pics that you post. You both are doing a tremendous work.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to share some Loveland Stake news in case you haven't gotten the scoop yet. We have a new Stake Presidency. They are...President Crane (no surprise there) with his counselors, Presidents Danowski and Leonard.
Doug and I are headed back east for the month of July to visit family. We continue to keep you both in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for your righteous examples.
Love to Nori...
Mary Ellen