 |
| A little paver repair |
 |
| Street work. One stone at a time. |
I suppose I need to let my few readers know the status of our residency here in this country of Turkey. To begin with I am going to conclude it is all my fault and that the events reported are simply a result of my mistakes. That said, I also accept the responsibility for convincing Nori that we needed to serve. I cannot accept the responsibility of being assigned to Turkey, that was never my choice to be made. We agreed to serve where ever we were assigned and that is Turkey.
 |
| Coffee, tea maker. Nice hammered copper |
About 6 weeks ago we applied for our temporary residency permit, TRP. We were given a number and a date to appear for our hearing. We hung the copy of the document on the bulletin board and circled the date. That date was Feb. 26. We appeared as scheduled at 7 PM, 19:00 and waited for our number to be called. No numbers were called, but about 7:05 an official appeared and jabbered in turkish. Everyone took their document to him and so we went also. He scribbled on it and sent us to window #11. We quickly found out that our one number was only for Nori because she was the primary listing and I was the accompanying party. they gave her the approval documents and because the hearing was after normal hours she needed to go back the next day to pay the fees. I on the other hand needed to reapply for a new hearing date. I am now scheduled for April 25 for my new date. So at least until then, we are official. Nori of course is really official and I am in limbo.
Now just so you all know, paying the rent was a breeze compared to getting a TRP. I must also interject that I messed up. Yes that is Fred messed up and made the day a little more crazy.
Ok, here we go. We take the signed document from yesterday, walk to Osmanbey metro stop, about 3/4 of a mile. Catch the metro to Taksim, get out walk to the Fununciler (mechanized lift), get out walk to the Tramvey and catch the tram toward Bagellar. We ride to Findikelzade and then walk about a mile to the Metropolitan Police station of Istanbul.
 |
| bread market along the way |
To get into the Police station is like an airport entry only without asking, they pat you down if the buzzer goes of through the X-ray. You show your passport and you are given entry. You then walk outside through a courtyard and into an absolute madhouse of people from everywhere yelling and pushing to figure out where they are suppose to be. Keep in mind most of the language is not Turkish, but people trying to get Turkish permits.
You then get in line and pay the fee of 10TL for every month you will be in Turkey. Then you go upstairs to window #11 and he messes around with your paperwork and points to another section of the building. You then get in line to pay another fee. THIS IS WHERE WE EXIT the normal process cause I messed up. I had been told that the monthly fee was 5TL so I limited how much money I was carrying and when we lined up to pay the next fee, I discovered that we were bout 20TL short. It is 2 PM and the place closes at 3:30. We have no credit card to get cash and they will not take credit, CASH ONLY.
 |
| Local folks buying a Simmitt |
We dash from the police station catch a cab and head for home, the expensive, but fast way. We get to Sisli and I talk to the cab driver in my bad turkish while Nori dashes into the apartment and gets more money. Of course sitting in a cab while the traffic continually honks because you are blocking traffic is a story of its own. Nori returns with more TL and we head back to the Police Station. We arrive about 3 PM and go through the same screening process and then back in line to pay what ever fee the next fee was, 197 TL. Just a short hour of expensive diversion. Then back to window #11 to have him shuffle the same paper and tear off the bottom half of the form with a date that the actual TRP can be picked up.
Now on March 12, it is back to the same police station to hopefully get Nori's official TRP booklet. I of course will have to have my own circus beginning in April. Whatever we are here to do whatever it takes in all aspects of the service. Just laugh.
Like!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Fred and Nori, I enjoy your posts. Laura and I went out with John and Tawna the other night and they told me about your blog. I've really enjoyes reading about the preparation to serve and the ups and downs in Turkey. Most of all, your posts have made me want to go on a mission now. We'll have to wait awhile, but the waiting will be hard. I'm sure you've heard, but the Temple was approved and the Fort Collins Mission was announced last week and will start up 7/1. They already have a Mission President(is that your big surprise announcement:-)?) but haven't announced the name yet. Take care, I'm glad we found your blog.
ReplyDeleteRic and Laura