![]() |
| Every Morning the view over the City to the Southeast from my seat on the coach in my underwear. |
No one really keeps track of us. No one really has a clue as to what we do or do not do. Yes, we have the same little white book, but little of it applies to us and there is no reporting or accountability of our service. We are pretty sure we could disappear and not a soul would have a clue. Well, maybe on Sunday if we were not at Church someone might say, "Where are the Weavers?" But then again maybe they would not. We even wonder how many people back in the Huntington Hills Ward even know we are gone or just missing or not even noticed.
In this particular assignment, we have been instructed not to wear our black badges. We wear levis as often as we wear suits and dresses. Most of our introductions are Ben Fred or I am Fred and Ben Nori. Last names in this country are an afterthought and we are never to proselyte or teach the gospel. We are here to just look out for the poor and needy.
As Humanitarian Missionaries in Turkey, we are not allowed to hold any leadership positions or connect to the Church so someone could say our goal of giving is to get people to join the Church. We have been cautioned to exercise extreme care in how we portray ourselves and never give anyone the impression we would like them to join the Church.
In our spare time, we are consumed with paper work. Not only do we have to account for every lira spent on our projects, but for the division of travel time and personal time for the church work and our private time. The official recognition of the Church in Turkey is designated as follows; İsa Mesih'in Son Zaman Azizler Kilisesi Istanbul Derneği. That means we are an Association bound by the most goofy bunch of rules imaginable. Some how the entire management of this association along with the creation of process and monetary control has fallen into my lap of responsibility. It is like running a business all over again except my boss is in Russia and not well versed in business. The bureaucracy of the Church is equal to the Federal Government and could truly challenge a testimony.
![]() |
| Fred's desk Even my trash is out of order. |
![]() |
| Nori's desk |
![]() |
| Dogs day out. |
We hold a family home evening once a month and fill our apartment with the entire United Nations. The variety of countries and languages represented blows me away.
![]() |
| Nigerian, Turkish, Comoros Islands, Iran. Turkish Dance lessons. |
It would certainly appear that it is the youth of this country that seems most eager to experience the gospel. They are so different from the youth of the United States. Rarely a tattoo or a piercing and they are so anxious to learn. Most of the non Turks have left their homeland to find a life free from oppression and depravity and have not seen their families in years. They get up and dance and share their thoughts and always treat everyone with so much respect.
The young people all get some english education and are excited to share their own culture and language while they learn something new. They dress very respectfully and seem to have so much more maturity than their American counterparts.
Perhaps the most notable part of this mission that I reflect on that is so different than the young missionaries, is that it would seem old people do not get as much attention from home as our young men here in Turkey. This is the whiney part .... the young guys get mail and email every week along with packages on a regular occasion. As old missionaries we have to beg for someone to even know we are gone. It is so strange. Even this blog seems like I am communicating with the infinite internet and very in-personable. Other than Cami, it would appear our readers are non existent. Of course as Cami told me, this will be a good log of our mission so it will be worth it. I try to compare this experience with what would have been my experience if I had served as a 19 year old and I have decided that there is simply no comparison and to think that finally serving my mission will never make up for not serving as a young man. There are just too many differences.





Aw, Fred....we know you are gone. 8) I do enjoy reading your posts. You have said a lot about the overhead of living in Turkey, the culture, and what you are not allowed to do, and I think all of these are informative and interesting. I would like to hear more about how you are allowed to serve the poor and needy. What can you do there to help them? You mentioned working with the nuns a while back. Is that an on-going project/relationship? Are there other organizations you work with? Anything you can share would be appreciated.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you were gone! What is going on here!
ReplyDeleteJust kidding Mom and Dad! We haven't missed one blog yet. We love them and love to see how you are dealing with life abroad and especially the church abroad! I inherited your awesome organizational skills thank you very much. I want to see a picture of you doing a Turkish dance. Heaven knows that when you were "American dancing" I always thought you looked like a Turkey so you can probably do great!
ReplyDeleteFred,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you feel like you're so far away... you are not far from our thoughts! I feel like I'm struggling to keep my head above water this year... my house looks a lot like your desk. Trying to educate kids on top of running a household is kind of a joke. But I don't regret or resent it. We too are living in a foreign land, albeit in the contiguous USA, and so we are doing things unconventionally. One thing that Sunnyside is good at is wrestling, and that's where Derek and the boys are tonight. So I'm trying to get some Primary work done, do laundry, pay bills, organize my office, finish tiling the backsplash in the kitchen.... We love you and pray for you every day.
Wow... that was sure a lot of dogs! I am glad you are taking your time to wright these awesome posts and teach (or help) the gospel!
ReplyDeleteWe have received several emails since this post. We appreciate your well wishes and support. I truly did not mean to sound so whinney. I wanted to reflect on our unique situation. There is so much we have been instructed not to talk about. This is a very sensitive location.
ReplyDelete