![]() |
| Our neighbor's back yard. So what if it is a 6 story apartment building. Everyone needs chickens. Also, ducks and 3 turkey's. |
Recently our good friends, the Cluff's sent an article entitled "What I wish I knew before I served my mission". This article was about senior missionary service and as I read it and contemplated a comparison of our service to the article author, I came to the conclusion that what I wish I knew before we signed up for this assignment would be much different than the article pointed out.
I do not plan to make a specific comparison, but the first item listed was about spending every day all day with your spouse and how difficult it may become. I totally disagree, being with Nori has been the best and most consistent aspect of this service. One could not ask for a better companion and support in a very difficult and strange environment. Of course we have had our disagreements, but we have always had our disagreements. Some of our friends might say we never get along, but it has been a blessing to have her with me every day. She is a marvel of organization, commitment, and compassion. Her ability to develop relationships of love with everyone we have worked with is a commodity of great value. Her amazing ability to literally develop and conduct the young women's program is what the entire program was intended to be. Her caring service to the Elders and the people of Turkey will be forever in the memories of all who have eaten her food and shared in our lives. There is no greater companion.
![]() |
| Totally stock '56 Chevy sitting in Kisalay. Dirty, but very stock. |
The rest of the article was interesting but did in no means parallel our mission. Enough said. What I wish I had known or perhaps been willing to understand is that for the most part, no one really cares if you serve a mission or not. We think it is a good example, but if we had not served, our family would still have loved us and there would simply be nothing to consider or compare. Looking at the hits on our blog would indicate we have few if any followers even though people would say they have read what we wrote. Based on mail of the snail variety or e-mail would indicate we have actually died and moved on to another life.
Our assignments have been totally isolated and completely under our control. No one in our mission leadership ever calls to see if we are alive or to ask about our thoughts regarding the mission or to even advise us how to serve. The most specific instruction we have ever gotten was, "Love the People." We send notes to our leaders to tell them what we are doing or what we think should be done. Usually what we do is of no interest, but as far as our recommendations to how to improve, I will simply say that I have not had a good idea in 14 months.
![]() |
| Kocetepe Camii Largest in Ankara, there is a two story mall under the mosque. |
About this point you may say and I know my son Adam will say, "Oh dad is just being negative again." Derek will say, "Missions are suppose to be tough or they do not count and you should just figure out what you want to do." Cami will say, "Are you coming home?" and Dan will not even read any of the blog.
I just want to say that after 14 months, I think I have finally figured it all out and in reality no one is suppose to care. NO ONE!!! Except my Father in Heaven and He cares. We went on a mission as we were instructed and we have done everything we could think to do. We have turned over a million stones. We simply made our own way. We figured out how to serve without constantly paying for translators. We figured out how to navigate this country. We figured out to serve people even if our area leaders were not interested. We figured out how to get along with poor language skills and we rarely get lost. We figured out what people need and we have attempted to provide all we can provide. We literally have a following of friends we have met and attempted to serve. We have received more communication from the people we met on our mission than all of our family and friends combined. I think we have touched lives. So that is the point. Touch lives.
![]() |
| The local Hobby Lobby. Gotta love the Turks They try to use all language and then tell the real story. not craft, but graft. |
In fact I will share a short report that the Elders here in Ankara gave to the mission president. They told him that if the "Weaver's" wanted to start a church there would be no limit to the people that would come to hear us talk or teach. There is a following of people that even though they do not want to join the church, will come to our apartment for family home evening and to church regularly just to see and talk to us. A couple of the young men call me Baba (dad). You know in this country the greeting between friends is to kiss on both cheeks. I have been kissed by so many men that it is amazing. I can barely tolerate kissing the clean shaven men, but the real hairy ones are definitely a challenge. We certainly have more people to teach than the Elders. All three of our recent baptisms in Ankara are people that have come to our FHE or have learned about the Church from us along with the Elders. Two of them have been Iranian people that speak only the English I have taught them, no Turkish and we have no Farsi speaking missionaries. That is a story in itself. Teach with love.
On top of the routine things we do, I have become a full time teacher. I teach the Tazehabodi girls, Tina and Tara every Monday, Wednesday and Friday the subjects of math, history, science, english and social studies. I teach the growing Iranian congregation English and gospel principles on Thursdays and we teach gospel principles to the Hagobians on Monday and Javad on Sunday. We then teach a group of people on Monday evenings with a standing open invitation family home evening which averages about 6 non members. Tonight we teach the nature of God. Should be interesting. We had the largest attendance at the branch ever 86 people to attend our Christmas party that we did all the work. It is important to remember more than half of the branch was out of town for the holiday and we had 31 nonmembers. We finally created a social calendar and the branch now has an activity for every month.
![]() |
| My favorite Turkish traveler. On the bus, a hundred degrees on the bus, freezing outside, Dressed for the arctic. |
So we have discovered how to find a means to serve and we have created opportunities to help every day. The only problem is we really thought we would be more busy and we would be given some direction as to what we should do. SO, what have I learned, I have learned that it is up to me to figure out what we will do because in reality NO ONE really cares except God and I think finally that is sufficient for me. After all we came to do his work and not the leaders in Moscow or Sophia. We have made a difference. We never gave up trying to do something and I think we have been successful.






Just so you know I have read every blog you have written! :) I don't log into the blog, because I get sent an email with every submission, so I just read it in my email. Trent's parents had a fairly similar experience to yours, except on an Indian Reservation in South Dakota. It was quite the experience for them and certainly not what they expected. They made the best of it however, which it seems exactly what you and Nori are doing!! We are proud of you guys and love you both!!
ReplyDeleteStephanie Packham
Holy Cow! It's nice to know that you still know me so well Dad! Right before you said, "Adam will be saying, "He's just being negative again." I was saying EXACTLY that! I was laughing my head off! Also, let me just clue you in on something that I have realized recently. NOBODY REALLY CARES ABOUT ANYBODY BUT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILY very much! Except Sister Packham and a VERY FEW others that are truly Christ-like giving people. For the most part, myself included, we get so wrapped up in ourselves and how things affect US that we rarely have time or truly care about anyone or anything else. If you have learned nothing else on your mission maybe that would be all that you needed and that is to actually care for those around you and what they're doing in their lives. Obviously, you have learned to do that with the Turkish people and I love that it will hurt you so bad to leave your work there basically without having anyone follow it up. What that shows is true Christ-like love for the Turkish people! That's awesome! When I left on my mission I had about a dozen people that swore they would write me and follow my progress on my mission. That lasted maybe the span of the MTC. The only people that were there the whole time were you and mom, THAT'S IT! I received letters from NOBODY but you guys! It didn't just happen on the mission, it happened and continues to happen with everything. When I finished my Ironman, the only people that were really there and congratulated me were my wife and kids and YOU. That's it. Everyone else has their life and that's all they really care about. I promise you this, we WILL be there to hug you both on April 7th and welcome you home and say, "Job well done!"
ReplyDeleteI too have read every single post you have written. My excuse for not commenting...1. I have no words of wisdom to add. 2. I have to refrain from saying the following... I have never heard a grown man whine so much about people not paying attention. For heaven sake, old man get up and rub some dirt in it. We are all so proud of you we love you and pray for you daily. I'm very glad to hear you mention God in this post bc I know He is proud of you. Much love. Can't wait to see you.
ReplyDeleteTeach with love. Serve with love. Do what you can. Find ways through all the obstacles. Trust God. Keep trying and trying and trying. Love and help the young elders and sisters. Trust God. Touch lives one by one. Great stuff. Your both awesome. Much love! Dave
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you guys are coming home so soon! I can't wait to see you guys! I've enjoyed reading ALL your posts! The 18 months flew by for me! :) see you soon!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete