What is said is not
important. What is not said is
important. This is actually not my
original thought, but one I read in a book somewhere. It struck me as being the essence of what I will call
perfect and proper thought and speech in an environment of compliancy. A place where order and submissiveness
is prized over honesty and reality. Rather than ever discussing the cold
hard facts, we prefer to exist in a surreal environment where tradition and
practices reign supreme to practicality and common sense. Obedience to a benign rule is more
praiseworthy than the success of the over all intent or objective.
![]() |
| Perhaps this is the only truth. The love of a father and his child. The stories I could share about these two could fill volumes. Iranian refugees. We truly love these people. |
The underlying question
is actually, “What is truth?”
Perspective is an individual source of information. Truth should be the absolute
information, but can truth actually exist in the midst of individual
perspective?
It is not fitting for a believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Apostle, to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Apostle, he is indeed on a clearly wrong path.
Surat-ul-Ahzab (33-36) (Copied from the Internet and not intended to be an opinion or point of contention. This is just as it appears on the web. A statement.)
Where are Socrates and
Plato when one really needs to practice the art of philosophy?
Seeing religion and
life everyday brings never-ending questions to my mind. Truly living among a different culture
and experiencing new thoughts and expectations is without doubt the education
and benefit of this experience, but it confuses my base. I continue to wonder if I am actually
learning anything or just forming new opinions that will never be considered
true or real to the mind of someone who has not shared the experience. Of what value is knowledge if it cannot
be shared or if it is not believed as a truth?
![]() |
| Sharing experiences about life is a blessing. Names withheld per instructions. We were looking at old wedding and war photos from Iran with our BFF. |
If you have come to the
conclusion that I have way too much time on my hands, you are experiencing
truth. I have far too much time on
my hands. As an MLS missionary, we
have been told that our job is to love the people and to focus on the young
single adults. We have been
instructed that we are not to teach investigators in a class setting so our
effort to teach in our assignment as Institute Instructors is only for the
members. We can invite everyone to
our weekly Young Single Adult Family Home Evening, but currently we have only 1
investigator.
So the time demands for
our mission is to hold FHE (family home evening) weekly and for me to teach
Institute weekly and Nori to teach Young Women weekly. In other words, our mission is exactly
what everyone in the church does everywhere in the world; hold a position. Our current assignment is exactly the
same time demand as we had while living in the comfort of the United States.
We do get to work with
some amazing young people who have experienced some personal trials beyond the
comprehension of the young minds in the States. We are learning so much about the rest of the world and
getting a harsh dose of reality.
The plight of the world outside the states is a huge burden for the
individual to carry.
Unfortunately I am
spending too much time lying on the couch, getting daily bed head and watching
the evasion of truth in the US Congress and the White House. How confusing to hear polar opposite
opinions of what are supposedly the facts. I am consumed with thoughts of what is truth and what is
opinion and where are the facts?
![]() |
| Ataturk and pigeons on a horse. Ankara is full of Ataturk statues. One could get a picture of him doing any and everything. |
The weather is changing
here in Ankara and the leaves have turned color and began to fall. The “Villa” is growing cold at night
and the temperatures are now below freezing during the night. Daytime is pleasant with 50 degrees and
mostly sunny. My thoughts have
returned to a year ago when we were anxiously starting to pack and line up the
details of this life adventure. Oh
how excited we were. We were
waiting for all our family to come for our grand send off and trying like crazy
to learn a few Turkish words. We
could only see the promise of a remarkable opportunity and could not wait to be
fully engaged.
I would like to share
more personal experiences and I wish I could report that we are having tremendous
spiritual events, but the restrictions and limitations prevent us from reaching
much beyond the boundary of our Utah Branch that is just coincidently located
in Turkey.
We are Skyping and
teaching a family in Izmir and their growth in knowledge is exactly what I thought our work
would be, but unfortunately we cannot encourage baptism and simply building a
friendship that will disappear after we leave is too hard to think about.
I am truly sorry for my
lack of positive perspective. I
have hope, but it is limited.






At least you have hair for "bed-head". You have met some amazing people. I look forward to getting to learning more about these people. I overheard a conversation the other day about how hard it is to be a member in Japan. Indeed it is hard, much, much harder than anything I have had to "endure". But then I thought about the sacrifices of one of the wonderful refugee families you and Nori have shared with us and I just couldn't let the whining continue. I didn't try to scold or correct them, but did try to redirect the conversation towards the blessings that make it worth it. Thank you guys for continuing to share your experience. Dave
ReplyDelete