I am sure like most of our experiences in life, we will be glad we were able to come and serve, but without a doubt this is a stretch of patience and endurance. This is an extremely trying and difficult assignment.
![]() |
| This is Boyce Fitzgerald, The mission DTA Director of Temporal affairs, always on the phone. |
The other day, I made a list of all the things were have been instructed not to do and we realized why times can get so frustrating. The limitations in Turkey are huge. It is hard to explain all the restrictions and still believe that there actually may be a reason why we are here. The restrictions are for a variety of reasons and unfortunately unless the reason seems to make any sense, I truly struggle to understand why we would slow down the work. Opportunities far exceed our wildest imagination and we literally have to hold off so we do not do to much. Weird statement, but it is true.
We have developed a major wheelchair project and are attempting to get the Church in Salt Lake to accept an alternative approach to how a project can be done outside the historical approach. As most of you all know, thinking outside the box is never a problem for me. My problem is staying in the box. If someone sets a restriction, I look for a way around it. I refuse to be stopped in doing something in spite of some of the directions we receive. I fully appreciate the need for discipline, but do not appreciate the need to just avoid discussing opportunities.
![]() |
| In the Cistern, below the City of Istanbul. Original water storage. See the giant carp. |
It is amazing how little the folks in Moscow really know about Turkey and they just cannot seem to readjust their thinking to the current facts. Makes our work so hard. It is as if everyone wants to come here to visit the bazaar, but do not want to talk about a plan or set any goal. I feel like they just refuse to discover what is really what. I do not want to pretend that I understand this crazy country or the limitations of service, but I would love to at least have an open discussion about the whole direction.
We should update you on the Hagobians, the Iraqi family from Kayseri. It is an almost miracle. The week after we were with them, they got their assignment. How exciting, but unfortunately the dad, the mom and the grandmother were assigned and the son, Sherrack was not given a location. The most amazing point is that even though the US quota was full, they were assigned to the US. The horrible fact is that they will not take the assignment unless Sheraack can go as well, they will stay in Turkey to be together as a family. I can not say I blame them, but what a struggle. Sheraak is totally disturbed about the whole affair and thinks his family should go. We continue to pray for a change in the situation and hope they can be blessed to stay together in a safe and opportunistic location.
![]() |
| Part of the herd of 20 people we attempted to herd around Istanbul. This is at the Hagi Sophia |
We attended our mission conference for all of the Humanitarian Missionaries in the Eastern European Area. There are only 9 couples. The area struggles with getting replacement missionaries. With all the new missions, the Church is trying to staff all the new missions first. Also, it appears that not many old people really want to serve. There are several openings in Eastern Europe and we certainly would give any of you all a great recommendation. Also, keep in mind you can have our assignment in just 11 months if they replace us.
![]() |
| Sailing on the Bosphorus. We chartered a private boat. Dinner and Cruise. |
The Conference was a lot of work for Nori and I because we had to line up all the events and the facilities. We also struggled with the amount of money that was spent and in reality felt like the Conference was not needed. Nevertheless, we did our best to set up some great events and it was a great opportunity to meet others from remote and strange assignments in the unknown countries of the world. Of course, Nori and I are the youngest people in the group.
![]() |
| Sunset over Istanbul from the Bosphorus. |





I'm sure that after seeing all of the poverty and need that you do out there makes doing something as unnecessary as a cruise and dinner seem frivolous but it's probably a lot like when we come out there. We'll want to see the sites and everything that we can, but also understand that there is so much need that will surround us. When we're out there I want to experience it all and want my kids to see some sense of what you experience every single day.
ReplyDeleteWe continue to pray for the Hagobians. I shared their story in Primary and we hope for a happy conclusion to their plight in Turkey.
ReplyDeleteWho better than you and Nori to endure an assignment that requires waiting and patience and perseverance. You may not like it, but you have learned to do it well. :) I love you both.