It is impossible to believe that we have now been on our mission for over a month. It is the most incredible experience. Not the best experience of my life, but one of the really good ones so far. I love each new adventure and find each new discovery to be so amazing. We have been in Istanbul for two weeks and two days. We pretty much can fully navigate this enormous, crowded and extremely busy place. It is certainly not for the very private people that do not tolerate a crowd. You are constantly mushed together in subways, trains, buses and on the streets.
We are overwhelmed with the good people that have given their lives to the service of others. We met today with the Little Sisters of Mercy who have committed themselves caring for the old people over the age of 65 who have no relatives or posterity or place to go to live out their lives. These tiny sisters standing barely 5 feet tall, work around the clock in shifts to care for these poor old people. They make our concept of service seem insignificant. We are mere amateurs when we look at those who have committed themselves and given up everything to serve. Our hearts and souls are touched to see this gentile service and their sparkling outlook of faith. Their is no doubt that miracles happen daily.
This could be the only Christmas we have experienced where the true love of the Savior is completely without the shadow of commercialism. Just those in need and those who find a spot of joy in the minor pleasures of life. Very humbling.
The weather has been cool and very rainy. We get good use from our umbrellas and raincoats. I have also learned to love my truck. It is so hard to carry everything home in the crowds and rain. Last night I stopped a taxi from running over us with the legs of an ironing board I was carrying home. If you cannot carry it, I am not sure how it ends up at your house. There must be a delivery service we have not discovered. Oh well it is all part of the adventure.
Happy Holidays from the cradle of Christianity. Unfortunately there are few Christians left.
Decorating the tree. Nothing says christmas like a giant evergreen and a few bulbs.
Waiting for prayer at the new Mosque
Ayasofya, a most amazing history of Christianity and Islam
A mosiac in the interior of the Ayasofya that had been covered over when the basilica was converted to a mosque.




Great Christmas tree! I wish I had that one to decorate! We've been decorating ours for a week now. The time is already moving by!
ReplyDelete